Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tomatoes Provencal




Just five minutes into the cooking and these babies had my Georgia home smelling like a French country house....in the middle of a lavender field in Provence, in summer, right before lunch!
The following recipe is from one of my favorite blogs, French Essence by Vicky Archer.  I couldn't resist posting it even though I said I wouldn't be back 'til next week.  If you have never baked tomatoes this way you owe it to yourself to do so before the current crop is gone. Bye!



Tomatoes Provencal
For 10 people I would cook 15 tomatoes
Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees F or 150 C
***
Choose tomatoes that are as ripe and as red as possible without being over… I always buy them 4 days before I need them and leave them on the table in the kitchen to ripen
Wash them and cut the tops off… about one third into the tomato
Place the tomatoes face up on a flat non stick baking tray
Add 5 or 6 generous cloves of garlic to the tray
Splash olive oil over the tomatoes… a generous pour but don’t drown the tomatoes…
Sprinkle liberally with sea salt … this salt makes all the difference… and Le Saunier de Camargue is my favourite…
Bake in the oven for at least 4 hours… and then turn the oven off and leave them in there for another hour or so… they can even be cooked overnight but remember to drop the temperature right down..
Serve on a platter and scatter fresh basil on top…
***
These tomatoes are delicious served warm or cold… their caramelised texture is perfect with barbecues… or as an accompaniment to salads… Try them… I think you will love them… x


Recipe and foto V. Archer French Essence

3 comments:

  1. Nothing better. I have a bag of tomatoes left over from Labor Day. Think I will roast them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny,

    These will bring fond memories of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea that it could be cook or eat just like this. I know i can only use tomatoes for ingredients in cooking.But this looks yummy and i will try it son.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails