Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cocktail Cheese Wafers


There is nothing more Southern than these cheese wafers.  I love to make a batch  to have with cocktails in the evening, particularly when I have weekend guests.  They keep, baked,  in a tin box for a week or two or you can just stick the uncooked dough in the freezer to slice as needed.  They are also a nice hostess present to bring to the lake or the beach.


Yield: About 60 wafers


Ingredients

1 cup flour

1 stick butter, softened

½ lb. extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

Pecan halves


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Mix flour and butter, then add cheese and seasonings. Form into a roll (approximately 1 inch in diameter). Wrap the roll in wax paper and chill at least several hours or overnight. Slice into thin wafers, top each with a pecan half, and bake about 8 minutes.

*I placed butter sliced into 8 pieces and grated cheese in food processor, pulsed 3 or 4 times to integrate. added flour sifted with cayenne and salt and pulsed about five more times to combine.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have had something similar and have looked for a good recipe.

    BTW, I really enjoy your blog.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. These are very Southern. I never thought to decorate them with a pecan half. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, They served them at every party when I lived in Hendersonville. One of my friends Willa Allen started a business with them right there in H. heard of her?

    Carolyn, you will find many recipes in the old Junior League cookbooks. Thank you for liking my blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails