Friday, July 23, 2010

Pamper Yourself...Tuna Salad With Capers, Lemon Balm & Chives

Lindaraxa

I have a friend who says I am the only person she knows who cooks for herself...so? If I cook for others why not for myself? and if it's going to calories why not make it a treat!

I usually have lunch by myself (thank God!) and just like everybody out there, I get bored with the choices.  There were two luscious avocados sitting on the counter this morning and a whole bunch of my homegrown cherry tomatoes.  Tuna fish salad anyone?   I have to admit that the idea of lobster salad with the leftover meat from two lobsters we had a couple of nights ago also came to mind, but just for a minute.  I had planned all along to make a Lobster Risotto for my daughter tonight.  No, too much of a guilt trip. So back to tuna fish, with changes of course.


Tomatoes from my garden!


The best growing herb in my garden this year is the lemon balm.  If you don't have lemons on hand, there is no better substitute.  I have tons and every time I make something, I find myself eyeing that lemon balm pot! You really can't go wrong with it, at least with the recipes I've tried.  So lemon balm it is, with chives for sure and why not capers instead of boring celery?

A cold glass of iced tea, some sliced avocado with olive oil and my priceless tomatoes..a very elegant lunch indeed, with plenty of leftovers for tomorrow!

Don't laugh now, but while I was making and eating lunch, I made some White Peach Jam With Ginger with a couple of peaches that weren't so great.  Nothing goes to waste in this house!


White Peach Jam With Ginger - Lindaraxa

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 can tuna fish
2 chopped hard boiled eggs
2 TB mayonnaise
1 TB chopped lemon balm*
1 TB chopped chives
2 TB capers
Salt and pepper
Sliced avocados and cherry tomatoes to accompany

Directions

Mix everything together and serve cold. 

*1 tsp. grated lemon rind can be substituted

Photo Credit Lindaraxa

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails