Thursday, March 18, 2010
Chewy Butterscotch Bars
This is the original recipe from Nestle's and if you like butterscotch, this is for you. The only suggestion I have is halve the recipe and bake in a 9 x 11 pan... that is, unless you are baking for a crowd. Also, you may want to use walnuts, which counterbalances the sweetness of the butterscotch better than other nuts
These are great for picnics and to take on the boat when you are out on the lake!.
Makes 4 dozen brownies
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (11 ounce) package Nestle Toll House butterscotch-flavored morsels, divided
1 cup nuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl until creamy.
4. Beat in eggs.
5. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
6. Stir in 1 cup morsels, and nuts.
7. Spread into ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
8. Sprinkle with remaining morsels.
9. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool in pan on wire rack.